So here is how you do the California Hand Roll:
You will need (makes 10 rolls)
-600gm sushi rice
-5 sheets nori seaweed
-1 cucumber (cut in strips) - it's more then enough, I just make a cucumber salad using the remains...
-Some crab meat - depending on how much you want to use in your hand roll, I use a lot, makes it tastier.
-a bit of soy sauce
-avocado (cut in strips)
-sesame seeds (optional)
What you do:
1. Prepare nori sheets by cutting them in half.
2. Moisten your right hand, but keep your left hand dry. (it helps to have a glass of water that you can dip your hand into, the key is to always keep it wet when working with that sticky sushi rice.) and if you are left handed do the opposite - left wet, right dry.
3. Pick up a nori sheet in your left (dry) hand, make a prolonged ball of rice with your right (moistened) hand, place it on the left hand side of nori.
4. Flatten the rice and make a groove down the middle, smear with a little soy sauce.
5. Put a strip of mayo on the rice, place avocado and cucumber in the mayo, then put the crab meat on top.
6. Fold the nearest corner (bottom left hand side) over the filling and with the help of your right hand, bring it up to meet the top edge of nori.
7. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top of the rice, not nori.
And that is it! Serve with wasabi, soy sauce and ginger. Yummy and easy.
I am sick right now with fever, running nose, soar throat and all that, but as soon as I get better I will post some pictures on it as well.
Hope you will find this useful! :)